Thursday, March 26, 2009

My Revelation

This recession is hitting us everywhere. A few nights ago I discovered that my favorite magazine domino went belly-up. (That explains the emptiness of my mailbox.) Checking Wikipedia I learned the decision was announced about two and a half months ago. Where was I? Blissfully on winter holiday form graduate school. What makes this particularly frustrating is that domino was my replacement magazine for blueprint.

The loss of two great magazines has alerted me to a greater absence. I lived vicariously through the pages of those magazines. I cannot afford the lifestyle they boasted on grad student funding. My purchase of bamboo flatware from Target is all I have to show for my hours of dedication. Since most of my friend are in their mid-twenties and are in a grad school/med school/law school limbo, I realize I am not alone. Those who are not working towards advanced degrees are entering the workforce, paying off school loans, and/or supporting spouses in graduate school. Student loans are an albatross. Rent is high. The woes of a college grad go on, and on.

I don't have all the answers. I'm very new to this adult responsibility thing but I want to do it right. As much inspiration as I've drawn from domino and blueprint, I realize that those magazines were mostly fantasy for me. I need to learn how to live with style in a way that fits my budget, my goals, my values and my needs. Besides navigating the sea of adulthood I want to live fully and wholly. I want to pursue the things that make up the essence, the contents of my life. I'm going to learn some new recipes, eat healthfully, learn to sew, learn to knit, become financially savvy, decorate my apartment, maybe pick up a hobby or two. I do hope I can inspire others to take hold of their lives and do the same.

For me, this has been a long time coming but it's time to take the plunge.

This is My life. My style. My Way.

2 comments:

  1. I am SO excited you started a blog. You have such a rich character and of course, you are an excellent writer.

    I can't think of anyone else's blog I will look forward to reading more.

    Bravo, Kirsten!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I just wish I could articulate myself as well as you. I would like to learn how to do all those things, but I need someone to teach me. I am not that good at learning things on my own.

    ReplyDelete