Thursday, March 26, 2009

Eating from the Garden

I think this article on Michelle Obama's White House vegetable garden is interesting. Just more evidence that it's never too late to change how one interacts with food.

It really seems to me that most Americans interact with food at extreme levels of restriction or indulgence. It's no wonder that in our culture there are so many hangups for being too skinny, too fat, or quantity/quality of food eaten. In the quest to be beautiful and healthy, many people get roped into habits that take the good and the joy out of eating. There must be a way to marry healthful eating with soul satisfying food. I propose, as many others before me have, that one way is to get in touch with with food in its most basic, whole form as it comes from the garden.

Barbara Kingsolver, Steven L. Hopp, and Camille Kinsolver's Animal, Vegetable Miracle: A Year of Food Life is one examination of how we all could change the way we look at food. It's my goal to start embracing a few of the local food principles to see how it changes my life.

2 comments:

  1. I read the article and loved it.

    As you know, my relationship with food has been a journey, to say the least. Choosing to eat well and have the right mindset is a daily battle. Just know you are not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed the article about the Obamas garden. That is pretty cool. I read part of the Kingsolver book before the library took it back; I intend to finish it this summer. In the meantime, I'm looking for locally grown labels in the weekly grocery flyer - it's a start!

    ReplyDelete